Saturday, October 24, 2009

Fabulous Fall Day!

This was such a spectacular Saturday!! We were all home today and didn't really have any other commitments. We slept in (as much as we could), and Justin took Addie to the park and store while I cleaned the house. I can't tell you how nice it was to have the house all to myself and clean without having to keep Addie occupied!! I finished in 2 hours what it would typically take me all day to get to!
When Justin and Addie returned from the store, they had a surprise with them: a large pumpkin!!! We decided we would make it a thoroughly fall day by carving it, roasting its seeds, and having pumpkin soup for dinner! Justin and I discussed what should be carved in it, and all I asked for was a fall scene so I could display it on the kitchen table. Well, as you know, when Justin takes on a challenge, he sees it to perfection!!


The pumpkin before ...


Justin drawing out his design....

The carving magic begins... (Good thing he kept his pottery carving kit from high school!)


After Addie got up from her nap, she HAD to investigate what Daddy was doing to her "pumpa".


The finished product at dusk!


I used a Southern Living Recipe for roasting the seeds, and they turned out pretty good!

2 comments:

Alice S. Cook said...

What a wonderful way to spend a fall day. Justin the pumpkin was BEAUTIFUL. Libby I'm sure the soup and roasted seeds were DELIGHTFUL too. I know Addie enjoyed the day.

debbiedreamer said...

Wow, that's quite some pumpkin carving! Quite impressive!

Hi, my husband, Allen, who's in med school with Justin told me about your blog and the pumpkin carving. You guys have an adorable little girl!! It's so much fun being a mommy, isn't it!

Love your blog. I've been blogging ever since we moved to Macon 2 1/2 years ago - and I love having all the pictures and memories to be able to go back and look at - plus it's a great way for the grandparents to keep up to date on what's going on with us.

I hear you teach GVA - my 2 daughters are currently doing k12 through GVA. We like it a lot. I've thought about applying to work for GVA - I taught high school science for about 15 years in Cobb County before moving here. Maybe I can talk to you some day to find out a little more about actually working for GVA.

Well, we talked Allen into attempting to carve a pumkin. I better go see how it's coming. I do not think it will rival yours!! :) I wonder if that means surgery is out as a future career choice for Allen... ha!

Y'all have a wonderful Halloween!
debbie

 

Through Addie's Eyes... | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates