Monday, May 17, 2010

Anniversary Weekend

Well, it is official ladies, I have the best husband in the world! In honor of our 5th anniversary, Justin planned a secret get-away trip for both of us. He had been planning this for weeks and would only tell me small hints here and there. He also threw in some false hints to keep me guessing! He had me pack everything from a tent (I was dreading a camping trip) to church clothes. On Friday afternoon, he had my parents come get Addie while we hit the road to our secret destination. While we were driving I would rule places out based on direction and time for our dinner reservation (he did give me that bit of information). Around 5:00, we ended up near Savannah, so I pressed him to find out our final destination... the suspense was absolutely killing me! After he confirmed that Savannah was indeed where we were going, my mind raced with where we would stay and what we would do. We finally ended up downtown near one of the squares and Justin parked infront of an unassuming row house. Upon closer inspection, it was a bed and breakfast!! Hooray! No camping trip :)! In addition to booking us a room there, he had flowers delivered to our room, but not just any flowers, he had oriental lilies straight from Hawaii since that is where we went on our honeymoon!

The entrance to our bed and breakfast.


Our room looked right onto Chatham Square.


Our beautiful room.

The Oriental Lilies (they are still beautiful and have bloomed into large pink and white flowers!)


As soon as we were settled in our room, we took the quick walk to River Street for our dinner reservation which turned out to be a dinner cruise on the Savannah River. It was so sweet and reminded me of our Junior/Senior (prom) when we were in high school! One of the stewards was kind enough to take our picture!


On Saturday, we got up early, and had a DELICIOUS breakfast of french toast and pecan syrup! We walked towards the river and stopped off to do some shopping. We were going to go to Lady and Sons for lunch, but hadn't heard great things about it since they moved, so I just went into Paula's store to look around! (No trip to Savannah is complete without paying homage to Paula..right?!)


Around lunch time, we drove to Tybee Island for lunch at AJ's Dockside (some friends recommended it) and feasted on fried fish while we watched some boats come in.

Once we had eaten, we were ready for some water fun! We were going to rent a jet ski, but decided to rent a sea kayak instead! Yep, that's right!! Libby got in a kayak and rowed around Little Tybee Island!! Can you believe how I've changed since we've been married!! If he had asked me to do that on our honeymoon, I would have just laughed, but I really enjoyed myself. The tide was out, so we were able to go to many little exposed "islands" and look around. We even rowed to the little light house and explored it! After a few hours of kayaking, we were ready to relax and swim, so we headed to the local beach and spent an hour or so! (Sorry, no pictures of the beach fun; I didn't want to drop my camera out of the kayak and lose a camera!) After an exhausting afternoon, we went back to the B & B, showered, and got ready for our dinner reservations! Justin took me to a fabulous restaurant near the City Market...phenomenal food! Good thing I had exercised that day :)

On Sunday, after a yummy cheese omelet, we packed our bags and headed to Valdosta to go get our little girl! I truly appreciate Justin planning this surprise little trip. It is times like those where a marriage can rest and get "back to the basics" of what makes it great: friendship!

3 comments:

Brandy said...

How fun and how sweet of Justin! He needs to talk with my husband and drop some hints! Hah! So glad you guys had a wonderful time!

David Mann said...

Justin does things in a big way, that's for sure! (I still can't get over my birthday present!) Glad you two had a good time! Love,
Dad

Heather said...

Love Yall!!!

 

Through Addie's Eyes... | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates